ID card

Does the GouvID app replace the ID card? Is it legally valid if an ID check is carried out?

No, GouvID does not replace your ID card. It enables you to use the electronic certificates on your ID card to identify yourself to an online public service.

The electronic certificates on my ID card have not been not activated. What do I need to do?

The electronic certificates must be activated when you apply for a new ID card.

The electronic certificates on my ID card are about to expire. What do I need to do?

You can renew your ID card. The application is free of charge if you present the letter notifying you of the expiry of your certificates.

Communal taxes may be payable, however. 

Loss or theft

I lost my smartphone / my smartphone has been stolen. Do I need to take any specific action?

No, without your ID card, no one else can use the GouvID app for identification purposes. 

We recommend:

  • that you never keep your smartphone and your ID card together in the same place; and
  • that you protect access to your smartphone using its security features, such as its biometric features.

If your identity card has been stolen or lost, you can find all the information on what you need to do on Guichet.lu.

I have lost my smartphone and my ID card, or they were stolen. What do I need to do?

Any holder of an ID card who notices that their card has been lost, stolen or destroyed must file a report with the Police as soon as possible. The person filing the report receives an attestation.

In addition to reporting to the police, the holder must also notify:

  • the communal administration of their usual place of residence; or
  • the Guichet.lu reception desk; or
  • if you are abroad at the time, the relevant diplomatic or consular mission

so that the electronic certificates and the card can be suspended.

Find out more about the loss, theft or destruction of an ID card on Guichet.lu.


Where do I find my PIN and PUK?

Both codes were sent to you by post when you applied for your identity card.


I lost the document containing my PIN and PUK. What do I need to do?

You can request a reprint of the document containing the PIN and PUK codes of your identity card (eID) by telephone. 

You can find more information on the practical details of the application on Guichet.lu.

The GouvID app says the PIN I have entered is incorrect. What do I need to do?

First, check you have entered the PIN for your ID card and not the PIN for your SIM card.

If the PIN for your ID card is locked, click on "Details" and then on "Unlock your PIN". To choose a new PIN, you will need to enter the PUK code that you received when you applied for your ID card.

If you have lost the document containing the PUK code, you can find all the information you need on Guichet.lu.


I have not enabled my smartphone's biometric features. Do I have to enable them?

No. But in this case, you will have to enter your ID card's PIN each time you identify yourself.

Last update