The GouvID app, made available by the Luxembourg Government, enables citizens to use their Luxembourgish electronic ID card (eID) together with their smartphone to identify themselves to certain online public services such as MyGuichet.lu on a PC or tablet.
The GouvID app can also be used to sign MyGuichet.lu procedures that require an electronic signature after they have been completed.
Advantages of the GouvID app
- No specific card reader needed
The smartphone works as a contactless card reader.
- Always at hand
Signing in using the user's ID card and smartphone.
- Easy to use
GouvID makes it possible to sign in using the biometric functions (facial recognition, fingerprint, etc.) of the smartphone without needing the PIN of the ID card.
How to use the GouvID app
To be able to use GouvID, the electronic certificates on the holder's ID card need to be activated. They can be activated when the holder applies for a new ID card.
Add your ID card to GouvID
When using GouvID for the first time, you must follow this procedure:
- Download the GouvID app to your smartphone from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Open the app and tap on "Add a document".
- Scan the MRZ (Machine Readable Zone) using your smartphone's camera. You may need to grant the app permission to use the camera.
- Place your smartphone on the front of your ID card, as shown on the screen, to read the electronic certificates. This may take a few seconds.
- If you are using the electronic certificates on your ID card for the first time, you will be required to enter the PIN you received by post and then choose a new PIN.
- You will then be given the option to enable your phone's biometric features to use your ID card. If you enable that option, you will no longer need to enter the PIN for your ID card when using the GouvID app.
Use the GouvID app to identify yourself
To identify yourself with the GouvID app, you must follow this procedure:
- Have your smartphone and your ID card ready.
- On the login page of the online public service – e.g. MyGuichet.lu – displayed on your screen select the "GouvID" option.
- A QR code will be displayed.
- Open the GouvID app on your smartphone.
- Tap "Scan a QR code".
- Use your smartphone to scan the QR code displayed on the screen of your computer, laptop or tablet.
- Use the biometric function if it is activated, otherwise enter the PIN for your ID card.
- Place your smartphone on the front of your ID card, as shown on the screen, to read the certificates on the ID card. This may take a few seconds.
- If this is the first time you are logging on to an online public service using GouvID, you will be asked to register. An email will be sent to you at the address you enter.
- Confirm your registration by following the link received by email. You will have to identify yourself again using GouvID.
Your registration on the platform is confirmed and you will now be able to log on using GouvID.
Public services using GouvID authentication
GouvID currently allows you to identify yourself to:
- the applications of the Luxembourg Business Registers.
Conditions for using the GouvID app
To be able to use the app, the user must have:
- a compatible multimedia device, i.e. a smartphone running iOS version 13.0 or later, or Android version 5.0 or later, equipped with a camera and an NFC reader that can read ISO 7816-compatible tags;
- internet access;
- a customer account on Apple App Store or Google Play Store platforms.